Source Feed: The Globe and Mail
Author: Ashley Joannou
Publication Date: April 2, 2025 - 19:55
B.C. government grilled after January death of Indigenous teen in care
April 2, 2025
British Columbia Premier David Eby says a youth in government care “shouldn’t have died” earlier this year and that her death represents a “failure.”The province’s Opposition Conservative Party used much of its time during Wednesday’s question period to grill the government on its treatment of children in care, while family members of the 18-year-old who died in January watched from the gallery.The Indigenous teen, who The Canadian Press has chosen not to name, died while in the care of Usma Nuu-chah-nulth Family and Child Services, an agency of the Ministry of Children and Family Development, after she was found unresponsive near her group home in Port Alberni, B.C.
New Brunswick's police watchdog says an RCMP officer did not commit a criminal offence when they shot and killed an Indigenous man in Elsipogtog First Nation last year.
April 3, 2025 - 17:00 | Globalnews Digital | Global News - Canada
A Toronto man accused of killing his on-and-off again girlfriend has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder on the eve of his trial.
April 3, 2025 - 17:00 | Catherine McDonald | Global News - Ottawa
There were several points at which a University of Victoria student could have been saved before she died of a drug overdose last year, but instead a report says she didn’t get the naloxone or respiratory support needed to survive.The report by former Abbotsford, B.C., police chief Bob Rich looks into the January 2024 overdose death of 18-year-old Sidney McIntyre-Starko, who used street drugs laced with fentanyl with two other students in a university residence.
April 3, 2025 - 16:55 | | The Globe and Mail
Comments
Be the first to comment