Source Feed: The Globe and Mail
Publication Date: March 31, 2025 - 07:00
Which of Ontario’s supervised drug consumption sites are closing, and which will stay open?
March 31, 2025
The Ontario government has been attempting to close about half of the province’s supervised drug consumption sites as it seeks to shift away from harm reduction and instead focus on treatment. The government passed legislation last year to ban such sites next to schools and child-care centres, and has also said it won’t approve new or relocated sites. The closings were slated to happen on April 1, but a judge issued an injunction last Friday that will keep them open until a court challenge is decided, offering at least a temporary reprieve.The province says its push to close the sites does not mean it’s giving up on addiction care: It will replace the consumption sites with Homelessness and Addiction Recovery Treatment centres to shelter, employ and rehabilitate drug users, but they won’t allow visitors to take drugs under the eye of nurses who can help them in case of overdoses. Here’s an overview of the facilities that would close if the government eventually wins in court, and which would remain open.!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",(function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var e=document.querySelectorAll("iframe");for(var t in a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var r,i=0;r=e[i];i++)if(r.contentWindow===a.source){var d=a.data["datawrapper-height"][t]+"px";r.style.height=d}}}))}();
Shiann Darkangelo returned to Massachusetts - about 40 minutes from Salem and the infamous witch trials of 1692 - to haunt her old team Wednesday night. Read More
April 2, 2025 - 21:49 | Don Brennan | Ottawa Citizen
Macklin Celebrini had plenty to figure out.The talented centre selected first overall at last June’s NHL draft by the San Jose Sharks would be playing close to his adopted home.
April 2, 2025 - 21:16 | Joshua Clipperton | The Globe and Mail
Shortly after Donald Trump announced details of his global tariffs Wednesday, a few hundred Americans gathered in the pouring rain on a pedestrian bridge in Buffalo and sang their northern neighbours’ national anthem.The protest, held in the shadow of the Peace Bridge that connects the two countries, was meant to send a message to both Washington and to Canadians across the river – an affirmation that not all Americans support Mr. Trump’s economic and rhetorical attacks on Canada.
April 2, 2025 - 21:03 | Greg Mercer | The Globe and Mail
Comments
Be the first to comment